Every neighbourhood has that one lucky kid with a cool treehouse.
Whether you’re treehouse-dreaming for your kids or for yourself (there’s no age limit here!), we’ve got cool treehouse ideas for your DIY backyard paradise.
Make it fun
You’ve got a tree and you’ve got a dream. Now what?
You can use a variety of materials to construct a treehouse, but wood is the standard. However, it doesn’t stop there. Once you’ve got your structure in place, it’s easy to elevate even the most basic treehouse with fun design elements, like:
- A fire pole
- A zipline
- A tire swing
- A deck
- A slide/water slide into the pool
- A speaking tube
- … and more!
Your treehouse should be as unique and fun as you and your family. Just like you’ve done inside your home, make your treehouse uniquely yours!
- Choose a theme your kids will love and decorate to that effect. (Jungle safari, secret headquarters, guest house, camping trip, pirate ship – the possibilities are endless!)
- Turn your treehouse into the ultimate obstacle course.
- Honor your favorite sports team with spirited colors and flags.
- Make your own family flag to fly on your official family treehouse!
- Don’t forget to choose a secret password!
Make it safe
Don’t go climbing up that rope ladder just yet – or at all! This design element might not be the safest. Discuss your ideal treehouse with your family and read more for important safety considerations.
- Don’t build your treehouse too high.
- Avoid powerlines that may be hidden in your tree’s branches.
- Ensure your treehouse has a safe and secure foundation.
- Install sturdy handrails and ladders.
- Check local building codes and homeowner’s association (HOA) guidelines.
- Have the structure reviewed by a professional.
Deck it out
Speaking of professionals, no one said you had to tackle this project alone! Ensure your treehouse is as epic as it can be with the help of the Neighbourly experts in your neighbourhood.
- Want to make your treehouse dreams a reality, but not sure where to start? Enlist a professional for assistance and/or to ensure your final product is safe for your family.
- Treehouse fun shouldn’t end when the sun goes down! Considering installing solar powered lights or string lights for a dreamy look. Consult an electrician about lighting in your treehouse.
- Get creative with color! Slap a fresh coat of paint on your treehouse walls. Hire a professional or have a fun DIY day with the family!
- Prefer to admire the treehouse from the ground? Keep an eye on your kids indoors through clean, updated windows.
- Where does your treehouse call home? Prep the tree itself for your new structure and beautify the surrounding lawn and landscaping.
Whether it’s suspended in a tree or sitting happily on the ground, we’re honored to be caregivers for your houses and homes. Visit our home page to explore our brands and schedule service with a professional in your neighbourhood.