Regular guests to the Neighbourly blog know there’s power in “cleaning
up and clearing out” unnecessary clutter in your home. An effective
way to do this is to have a yard sale!
If you’re unsure where to start, these tips will help you have a
super successful yard sale!
Clearing out clutter is an important part of maintaining a home –
we can help you choose what to ditch.
You probably know you have too much stuff, but do you know what’s
what? Begin your venture by creating these five piles: “Keep,”
“Toss,” “Donate,” “Store” and “Sell.”
Learn more about
organizing with piles and
keeping a generally tidy home!
Spend time in each room of your home and consider: 1) Have I used this
item recently? 2) Would I buy this
right now if I were standing in the aisle? If the answer is “no” to either
question, consider adding the item to your yard sale. (Learn more about clutter psychology!)
- As you place items in your “sell” pile, slap on a price tag.
You can use masking tape or colored sticker and a permanent marker to
add prices quickly. This will save you time in the long run and ensure
you don’t miss an item.
- You’ve heard the saying, “One man’s trash is another
man’s treasure.” Ensure you’re only offering “treasures”
by choosing items that are in good condition and functional. Throw away
or donate items that aren’t.
Laying proper groundwork is arguably the most crucial component for a successful
- Choose your date (Thursday, Friday or Saturday is common), location and
time well in advance. Shift your date if you anticipate bad weather and
beat the heat by starting early in the morning.
- Do some research to ensure you’re in compliance with local regulations.
In many cases, you need a permit to have a yard sale – a city clerk
can confirm this for you.
- Gather plenty of small bills (for change), price stickers, and tables for
- Collect makeshift tables (crates and boards, for example) or containers
to display non-breakables.
- Assemble your crew – yard sales are more fun (and more efficient)
with friends and helpers!
Consider sprucing up your “storefront” for the big sale by
beautifying your front yard or cleaning out your garage!
Your sale can only be successful if people know about it!
- Create several easy-to-read signs with clear messaging to place at nearby
intersections. The simpler, the better! Then, pretend you’re a potential
shopper and try to navigate to your sale location based on your signage alone.
- Team up with multiple families when possible. This will create a “one
stop shop” for yard sale shoppers that will certainly pay off for
all families involved. It’s a “win-win!”
- Advertise your sale online, particularly on social media. If your neighborhood
has a community Facebook page, be sure to list your sale there too!
Day of the Sale
Today’s the day! Are you ready?
- Be ready an hour earlier than you plan to start. When your items are out,
passers-by will stop! Pump up your crew with donuts and coffee to start
your action-packed day.
- Greet shoppers when they arrive, but don’t hover. Instead, let them
come to you.
- Label your categories clearly. If you have lots of clothes, for example,
organize by women’s, men’s, children’s, etc. Typically,
shoppers have specific items they’re hunting for – make it easy!
- As the day dwindles, you may decide to reorganize items and price “in
bulk.” For example, if you’re just trying to “clear
out” at the end of the sale, you could group small items together
on an “All items for a dollar” table.
We hope these tips equip you and empower you to have your best yard sale yet!
Our trusted home service experts are here to help with all your home maintenance
needs this fall.
Explore our Neighbourly family of pros and sign up for seasonal task reminders today!