In our fast-paced, immediate-gratification kind of world, life is expensive! With “smart” technology emerging in almost every area of our lives, it matters to stretch your dollar where you can.
Fortunately, Neighbourly has 10 tips to help you save money at home. If you’re investing a pretty penny in home improvements this year, take advantage of these money-saving ideas.
- Stop eating out. If you’ve found yourself in a drive-thru one too many times this week, try limiting the amount you eat out. Not only will you save money, but you’re more likely to eat healthier when you know exactly what you’re putting in your body. Cooking at home also allows you to spend valuable time with your family! In a time crunch? Meal prep on the weekends will prevent you from resorting to fast-food during a busy week.
- Make your own cleaning products. Much like cooking your own food, making your own cleaning products empowers you to choose healthier ingredients for your family and your home. Check out this expert blog for all-natural floor cleaning solutions from the experts at Rainbow International!
- Use a smart power strip. Here’s one piece of smart technology that won’t break the bank! Ranging anywhere from 15 to 50 dollars depending on additional features, smart power strips cut power to your gadgets when they go on “standby” mode. Rather than remembering to unplug when not in use, smart power strips do the work for you, saving you serious cash without even trying.
- Wash laundry in cold water. If you have lots of loads to do each week, washing your laundry in cold water could lessen your energy bill. Check your clothing tags – some fabrics even call for washing in cold water!
- Air-dry your dishes. Just like heating water for washing clothes, baking dishes in hot air once they’ve been cleaned is an unnecessary use of energy. Crack the dishwasher door as soon as the load is finished and air dry to save money.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This tip is more expensive upfront, but will have continued payoff once installed. Smart thermostats allow you to adjust the temperature of your home from anywhere, and you’ll save money by letting your thermostat do the work and adjust automatically to energy-saving settings. Call Mr. Electric for help with installation!
- Install energy efficient windows. Energy efficient windows are an investment, but if you’re in the market for new windows anyway, they are a great cost-conscious choice. Drafty windows cause your HVAC system to work harder than necessary, so replacing them will make a big difference in the long run. Call a Glass Doctor technician for expert installation!
- Clean your air ducts/filters. When was the last time you changed your air filters? If you can’t remember, it’s probably time! Cleaning your air ducts and filters will help your HVAC run more efficiently, saving you money. Aire Serv can help!
- Maintain your appliances. Speaking of efficiency, are the rest of your appliances working harder than they should? Regular maintenance will ensure you are getting the most out of appliances like your refrigerator or your washer and dryer. Mr. Appliance can ensure they’re in proper shape!
- Install LED lightbulbs. Installing LED bulbs can lower your electric bill, but be mindful only to replace frequently used bulbs. LED bulbs can be more expensive than traditional bulbs, so be cautious of how you’re spending money on them.
Are you already thinking of small adjustments you can make in your own home? Visit our homepage to find a professional who can help you. For more tips and tricks, visit our Expert Advice page.